Small Meter (up to 2") Test Systems
The Small Meter Test System developed by MARS Company employs the latest in design and process control technology, setting the worldwide standard for the small meter testing and management industry. This versatile system can be configured to meet the testing needs of virtually any small meter management organization.
MARS Test Bench Systems are designed to meet / exceed American Water Works Association (AWWA) recommendations, National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) Handbook 44 Specifications, ISO Specifications and other standards and requirements.
Understanding how your meters perform in the field will allow you to reduce unaccounted for water in your system.
Designed to operate using Volumetric or Gravimetric (optional) technology and to meet/exceed AWWA, ISO and NIST specifications.
Automation is available with optional Gravimetric and MARS M3 Meter Management Software integrations.
Standard and Optional Features
* Denotes Optional Items, contact MARS for details
10 Gal./1 Cu.Ft. and 100 Gal./10 Cu.Ft. Stainless Steel Duplex Tank.
Optional larger sizes, including 300 Gal., 500 Gal., and others are available.
Two (2) precision rotameters that cover a flow range from .1 – 60 GPM (optional third rotameter up to 160 GPM if high flow on 2” meters are specified).
Corrosive Protection (polyester coated steel bench frame).
All meter adapters, meter and adapter gaskets, manual flow control valves, document station, electric actuated clamping device, carrier bars and spacer spools.
The MUN-200 is an automated shutdown feature, which provides a consistent shut off for each and every test. This provides a more accurate test and further eliminates the element of human error.
In addition, the MUN-200 prevents accidental overflow as well, which is specified in the AWWA’s M-6 Manual as a recommended safety element.
The MARS Company Gravimetric System includes a scale, console, computer, printer, display and the MARS M3 Meter Management Software.
The Test Bench, with the Gravimetric System, is traceable to NIST (National Institute for Standards and Technology) Handbook 44 specifications, providing 1/10% repeatable accuracy.
- Motion detection range setting unit
- Alarm to prevent over-flow
- Run test sequence by time or volume
- Five selectable units of measure (gallons, cu. ft., cu. meters, imperial gallons and pounds)
- Units can be modified per customer request
- User selectable test names or line names (example: Q-Min or .5” line)
- Auto drains the tanks after the test or holds the water in the tank in order to stack test (scale automatically zeros after each test)
- Built in leak detection on scale, after the test with a variable leak check
- Selectable purge of one line or all lines based on a time which is operator adjustable
- Emergency stop or test abort in all phases
- Auto compensating free-fall adjustment (PRE-ACT) to stop test on target value
- Units are set up for computer and or printer interface
- Control software is upgradeable
- The scales are a NIST approved class III weighing device
- The weighing devices are traceable to Handbook 44 specifications
- System accuracy is ¼ of one percent and repeatable to 1/10 of one percent
With the introduction of ultrasonic and electromagnetic meters under ANSI/AWWA C715-18, additional test requirements were introduced.
MARS has incorporated many of these into Small Meter Test Bench Systems as an optional upgrade to new and existing equipment.
The Recirculation System recycles the test water used on the MARS Test Bench, maintaining volume and pressure to test the meters at the recommended AWWA Specifications, per Table 5-3 of the current AWWA M6 Manual.
Benefits include but are not limited to: compliance with local, state and/or Federal laws and regulations as it reduces the chemicals released into the environment; an immediate reduction in consumption and water dumped to waste after each test; Improved customer perception as the Water District sets an example for water conservation practices.
- Utilizes municipal (public) service to supply the needed water to the test system
- The water is drained from the measurement tank and then directed to the storm drain, municipal sewer, or wherever the user sees fit
- The water service must be able to provide a pre-determined flow at a specific pressure (requirement depends on bench size and specifications) in order to achieve proper test results
- Not recommended in situations where the cost of water is high or water conservation is desired
With MARS Certified, you can protect both MARS and selected third-party equipment with technical assistance, software upgrades, preventative maintenance, spares management and on-site maintenance.
Not only is the equipment upkeep essential, but ensuring all operators are fully trained on meter testing practices and procedures is critical.
- Eliminates shock and explosive hazards from hydraulic conditions
- Designed to minimize physical fatigue
- Built to withstand any forces applied within the scope of its use
- Easy to operate controls to minimize operator errors
- Nema-4 or 12 enclosure
- Grey enamel finish
- Completely pre-wired to operate all test system functions
- Equipped with Emergency Stop and Power On switch
- Industrial momentary and multi-position selector switches
- Utilizes hydraulic driven cylinder to compress meters and the spool spacers
- Meters are held in place by carrier bars sliding on stainless steel rails along the length of the bench
- UHMW polyethylene outboards and glides are mounted to the solid brass center carrier bar for minimal friction
- Uses inter-changeable adapters to hold various meter thread sizes
- Meter adapters are set up with 90 durometer polyurethane gaskets for longevity
- Carrier bars are equipped with locator pins to align meters and prevent accidental misalignment and blowouts
- Utilizes 1/4” O-rings and square groove technology on 1-1/2” and 2” carrier bars
- All wet parts are brass
- Designed to hold pressures to 150 PSI
- Fabricated steel
- Welded in accordance to standard industry practices and certifications
- Capable of compressive and hydraulic forces equal to fifteen thousand pounds of pressure
- Total weight rating of ten thousand pounds without distortion or misalignment
- Stainless steel load bearing surface at side rails
- Polyester Coating in MARS Blue
- Minimum of 20 years resistance to corrosion
- High impact resistance
- All steel is fully sandblasted and treated with Atochem rust proof primer before being coated for total bonding
- Frame is not touched by human hands within at least 2 hours of drying
- Coating is applied using the electrostatic method, then placed in an oven at 495 degrees F until fully bonded
- The frame is electrostatically spark tested to detect defects
- Stainless steel construction
- Extends full width and length of test bench
- Built in panels of 10 feet or less to facilitate removal and cleaning
- Drip free
- 1 inch in 10 feet slope to lowest point where a stainless-steel nipple will be welded for drain tie-in
- Designed to cover motion operators and hold forms, pencils, etc.
- Hinged lid
- Angled writing surface with lip
- Durable Formica construction
- Stainless steel hardware
- Provided in all sizes relevant to test bench size parameters
- Quantity provided allowing the ability to test one meter
- 1-1/2” and 2” spools set up with bronze oval flanged spaces
- Constructed of Sch. 80 PVC pipe
Three Precision Rotameters
- Low flow measurement of .1 to 1.5 GPM
- Medium flow measurement of 1.5 to 15 GPM
- High flow measurement of 15 to 60 GPM or 6 to 160 GPM
Low Flow Measurement Tanks
- One set of 10/100 Gallon Stainless Steel Duplex Tanks STANDARD for all test bench sizes
- Tank volumes of 10 Cu.Ft. / 100 US gallons and 1 Cu.Ft. / 10 US gallons
- Tank option: one duplex tank 10/100 or one (1) 10 Gallon Tank and one (1) 100 Gallon Tank
- Based on standard dimensions, custom tanks can be fabricated upon request
- Stainless steel construction
- Built in accordance with industry safety and seismic standards
High Flow Measurement Tanks (Up to 2″ Meters)*
- Size of tanks depend upon the test bench parameters and output requirements
- Standard sizes are as follows: 300 US gallons, 500 US gallons, 1000 US gallons
- All standard sizes are based on standard dimensions, custom tanks are fabricated upon request
- Stainless steel construction
- All tanks are built in accordance with industry safety and seismic standards
- Chrome plated ball with Teflon seat
- Full port
- 3-piece stainless steel body
- 150 PSI rating
Electric Ball Valve Actuators (Configuration Dependent)
- Nema-4x enclosures, zinc plated, two-part polyurethane Open/Closed Angle position indicator and
90-degree operation from full open to full close in 7 seconds
- Manual override hand wheel
- Torque switches
- 30% duty cycle
- Mechanical travel stops
- Internal heater
- Ball bearing 110 VAC motor with thermal protection
- Temperature range –4 to 158 degrees F
- Life cycle: 100,000 operations minimum
Small Meter Test Bench System Model Selection
Tests 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, and 1″ Meters
- Series 100 (up to 1 meter at a time*)
- Series 300 (up to 3 meters at a time*)
- Series 500 (up to 5 meters at a time*)
- Series 1000 (up to 10 meters at a time*)
- Series 1200 (up to 12 meters at a time*)
- Series 2400 (up to 24 meters at a time*)
*Depending on size of meter, estimate listed using typical 5/8″ meter lay length.
Brochures and Datasheets
AWWA C715-18 Compliant Test Bench Upgrade Datasheet 2 MB 94 downloadsMARS Company, a global leader in water meter testing and technology solutions, offers...
Is your Water Meter Test System ANSI/AWWA C715-18 Compliant?
MARS Company offers the first and only Test Bench Equipment Upgrade Program, enabling customers to upgrade their existing MARS test bench equipment to comply with the ANSI / AWWA C715-18 industry standard.
Is your Meter Shop Certified?
With MARS Maintenance Calibration Certification (MCC), you can protect both MARS and select third-party equipment with calibration, technical assistance, software upgrades, preventative maintenance, training, spares management, and on-site maintenance.